Saturday, October 7, 2017

Leaving. Leaves and a lifting bridge

Sometimes the hardest part of this stupid blog is deciding on the title. Sometimes I write the whole thing and still cant think of a title. Other days, like today I have a title first and then fill in the bumph later. Leaving, leaves and a lifting bridge pretty much tells you whats going on in the blurb below. But sometimes my head soup curdles away until some absolute shite (or genius depending on what your point of view is) comes out. Some of my favourite titles over the years are:-

Spank me!

Mickey Mooncock, Keanu Reeves and a day out in Cleethorpes!

Rick asked me to come up with a title for this, but he can't read this so....everyone just pretend I did, Ok?

The 50th state - Whats the date!? Bollocks.

and

Easternmostsnowdildoheadlessduck

Feel free to click the links and find out what the hell was going on (especially lazy Buffy's attempt to add to my blog as a guest poster - Ill not let her do that again!)

Anyway, on with the show - just what the goddamn fudge has been going on in the lives of Buffy (Hamilton lover - the musical not the racing driver) Davey and Rick (Yes, I actually wrote this shit) Davey.


Leaving....

Yep we left. It was hard leaving. But we left. 'Huh', I hear from everyone in Winnipeg - 'You are still here', they shout! 'Yes we are!' I reply. But I didn't tell you we had left Winnipeg. We actually left the cabin - For the final time this summer and as we did we helped Jon and Susan prepare it for winter.

Now, this isn't something we ever prepared for at home in England - For one reason, winter in England isn't that cold and for another reason - we didn't live on an island in the middle of a lake in England!

So what needs doing I hear you ask. Bloody everything I reply!
All the food and drink that has been taken there and not eaten needs to be eaten or taken back to the city. Bedding taken off beds, all the outdoor lights and plants taken away or packed up. All the outdoor furniture gets locked away under the cabin. All the dock furniture gets locked away or put under a huge tarp to protect it from the winter snow and ice. Everything gets cleaned, tidied and put away including the Grumman (metal boat with motor) which is manhandled up onto the dock, turned upside down and locked to the dock, so that it doesn't float away or get stolen The motor is removed, serviced for next year and put into storage. Its a busy time of year and along with trying to drink all the alcohol that was left out there made our last weekend out there busy but fun! Only 7 months or so till we can go back out there and get it all unpacked again for next summer!

The dock all packed up.
Leaves.
It is that time of year. When the lovely green lush leaves that grew over the summer die, and fall to the ground to slowly decay and turn back into soil. Over a period of time they become food for the tree which they fell from and for small animals to burrow into in order to keep warm , lay eggs and take a shit. Pretty useful really!

Apart from the leaves that dont like gravity and avoid it by landing on my roof and relaxing in my eave troughs and drainpipes. These leaves like to stop the flow of water and as the weather gets colder this water freezes, expands and stops more water flowing. Then this water expands more and completely messes up my lovely roof. Making me angry and I have to spend money to stop the roof falling off and my house becoming a set of four walls with a hole at the top.

So this time of year, I climb up the cheap ladder we bought and stand like a conqueror on the steep roof with a brush in my hand to remove these nasty little bugars, to try and prevent this chain of events occurring. Also I like climbing.

So me and Buffy spent a very pleasant evening doing just that - cleaning gutters (and also cleaning next doors as Paula next door is great and we might as well do hers too) It was fun and now our gutters are as clean as a bald mans bald patch after he has just shaved and polished his head.

See the photos here!!






Lifting Bridge.

So this week I have been working at a Law office in Selkirk - about 45 minutes north of the City.

Its one of those little towns that you can imagine 100 years ago having a saloon with horses tied up outside on a dirt road. It still has that kind of feel to it with the flat fronted buildings hiding sloped roofs behind the facades. It also has a cool lifting bridge across the river, which is rusting away now and only lifts once a year or so, but I found out that when it was built back in 1936 there were arguments on who would pay for the bridges maintenance. Because of this the bridge remained raised for about a year until a couple of local men - after an evening of drinking - decided to lower bridge themselves to allow people to use it. It stayed lowered and the argument over maintenance ended. By the look of the bridge now it still needs a lot of maintenance, but its a cool piece of history and a nice place to spend a lovely warm autumn lunchtime.

The bridge

Selkirk from across the river

Rusty

The story of the bridge


Incidentally, the lawyers office I have been working in is next door to a building being used by CBC to film a new legal drama called 'Burden of Truth'. Hmm, maybe I got a walk on part playing a sarcastic, short arsed British knob head. Or maybe I didn't.....

http://www.cbc.ca/mediacentre/program/burden-of-truth

Here's a few more photos of the old part of Selkirk and the film crew...



Imagine a cowboy sitting here with  Whisky.

RANDOM SHIT!




Time for lunch I think.
Everthing that can be counted does not necessarily count.

No comments:

Post a Comment